Escape with MAKE! The Lakes to a Cumbrian Castle for a weekend and immerse yourself in creative projects with clay!
3 guest tutors, 3 fab projects!
Hand build a Quirky Owl sculpture using quality clay while learning some fundamental pottery techniques with Richard from Twisted Earth Ceramics.
Choose either a plant pot or a clock and learn how to effectively apply glaze to bisque-fired pottery with Steph from Check out my Plumage.
Using your hands and a rolling pin, Cath from Stitched Ceramics will be showing you how to add texture to some beautiful porcelain clay and create a simple form that you will then slab build into a mug.
Make yourself at home in our beautiful studio and all materials and tools for each project will be ready and waiting for you!
Round off the weekend in style with an extra special Afternoon Tea Party in the Castle!
Enjoy some Cumbrian home comforts while staying in the Coachman’s Quarters accommodation in the Castle grounds.
With plenty of home cooking to keep you going throughout the weekend, what more could you want!
What is included:
- Ceramics sessions led by expert tutors (Max. 8 students so lots of 1-2-1 attention).
- All clay and other materials.
- Use of tools for the duration of the retreat.
- Two night stay in the Coachman’s Quarters at Muncaster Castle from Friday, 28th January – Sunday, 30th January 2022.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and light refreshments throughout the weekend.
- Afternoon Tea Party in the Castle.
- Meet the Owls in the Hawk and Owl Centre.
- Guided tour of the Castle’s State Rooms to see some of the beautiful historic ceramics on display there.
- Explore the Muncaster Gardens.
The pieces you make during the workshops will be fired in a kiln by our expert tutors. As the Owl and Cup projects need to be fired before glazes can be applied, these will be decided on by you during the workshops and then applied by the tutor.
All pieces will be ready to collect or be posted to you within 3 weeks of the retreat.
SKILL LEVEL: Suitable for all levels and perfect for those new to ceramics.
Bring a crafting (or non-crafting) buddy! Non-crafter tickets include everything except the workshop sessions, they will find plenty to occupy them at Muncaster and in the nearby village of Ravenglass whilst you are busy in the studio.
Non-residential options are also available. Get in touch to find out more about this option.
Please Note: Due to the nature of ceramics and clay, unfortunately a very small percentage of items fired may crack or break in the extreme heat of the kiln. Our tutors will of course do their best to minimise this risk, however we cannot guarantee that breakages will not happen.
MAKE! The Lakes creative ceramics retreats take place in the stunning surroundings of The Lake District, Cumbria.